Wednesday 22 January 2014

Victoria Falls to Home

Victoria Falls

14th January 2014
As the majority of the family were leaving for Joburg on the Nomad truck today we got up to have one last breakfast with them and see them off on their new ride, Peter Tosh.

It was sad to see them off, once again I was surprised at how close we were and how much I like them all. (they were all the cool kids leaving on Peter Tosh)

Once they had driven off Lisa and I packed our bags and headed for our new accommodation, The Rainbow Hotel. A slightly more upmarket place with a really nice swim-up bar clean marble floors and customer service. We dumped all our crap, (which was a lot) and then headed for a real hotel restaurant, the service was impeccable and the food was great the only hiccup was the baboon. 

Whilst we were eating I saw a really large baboon enter from a side entrance walk around to the reception area and into the dining area, he then headed straight for our table. I told Lisa to cover her food and get out of the way as I did the same, it was only then that I realised I had left my tablet on the table so I grabbed my tablet and yelled at the baboon as he jumped onto the table snarling and showing his sizable fangs. It was at this moment my years of Karate, kickboxing and MMA training kicked in, I ran away like a girl...To say that being face too face with a massive baboon is scary is an understatement, (he was the size of a large rottweiler with even larger teeth) and I confess I wanted no part of him, I had my tablet and he could have what ever else he wanted. As it turned out all he wanted was the sugar sachets out of the bowl, he grabbed them and then ran off, (clearly I scared him off). About 5 minutes later the security guards swung into action with their sling shots, surprisingly enough he was gone...

Later that afternoon we went for an elephant ride, I'm not sure that I'm comfortable with this as I'm slightly conflicted about using animals for peoples entertainment. I'm glad I did it but I wouldn't do it again. The elephant was a15 year old female and it was nice to interact with her and learn abit more about them from her handler, we got some photos and got to feed her so that was nice.

15th January 2014
Today we had two activities planned a Lion walk at 6:30am and a 15 minute Helicopter flight over Victoria Falls. The walk was excellent value and I'm not feeling any mixed emotions over this activity because the lions aren't being ridden but are being used for educational reasons and then when they get to 18 months old they live a semi wild existence and their offspring get released into the wild or into private game parks.

The lions were two sisters that were 15 months old, one was slightly cranky and the other was slightly playful, but like all lions they like to walk 5 meters and then sit down for a little rest. We got to pat them, watch them play, watch them lay down and of course walk with them. Whilst it was only 45 minutes I loved every minute of my time there, turns out you can pay to volunteer there as well, but I suspect it won't be cheap.
The guides took the majority of the photos and I have to say they are pretty good.





Next was the Helicopter flight, as most of you know I love helicopters. (it reminds me of my time in the Nam) we basically did figure eights so people on both sides of the helicopter could see the falls. Its without doubt one of the best ways to see Victoria Falls, and now I'm convinced that it's the way to see Okavango Delta. You don't realise just how narrow the falls are until you see them from above, it looks like you could actually walk across the top of the falls in some places if you're game.





Later in the afternoon we walked down to the Zimbabwe and Zambian border, whilst we didn't get a stamp we did technically cross the border, the bungee jump site is right in the middle of the bridge which is where the countries meet. 






Vervet Monkey and them blue balls

During our last night in Southern Africa I ordered a Margarita but they didn't have any Tequila, (so half the drinks menu was out) so I went for a celebratory Moijto.

16th January 2014
It's all about planes today, we had packed our bags and got them weighed at the hotel, (Lisa's was 16.3Kg's, mine was 16.7Kg's) I'm blaming all the T-shirts!!! we then called our friendly taxi driver and headed for the Zimbabwean International Airport, its about the size of the average back shed but works really well. I even got a cappuccino, good times. Bad news Danny the American was there...

From there we boarded our fight into Zambia then onto Joburg, all relatively painless. We had to go through immigration where we were asked to queue in a particular line, whilst we were in that line we watched people that were behind us get served and depart immigration. That didn't make me happy and neither did the immigration officer that decided it was home time when it was our turn to get processed...Back to the lady who sent us up the garden path, at least she put us at the front of the queue this time. Picked up our bags and off to the South African Air check in counter, once we had checked in we sat in the lounge for a couple of hours.

Upon boarding we discovered we weren't sitting together, I thought this could be my lucky day, but alas Captain Cranky Pants complained and some dude swapped seats with me. Fortunately for me we swapped, because he got stuck next to some big dude who probably took up half his seat.

Australian customs is just as bad as everywhere else in case you're wondering, we queued for ages as there were only three immigration officers on duty and at least two full planes had landed and were waiting to get processed.  Eventually we made it through and I was happy to be home, how I missed my old friend....


So my thoughts on the trip are this.

Research People Research!!!
1:  If you're going to go to Africa in the wet season, don't complain when it rains...or because its hot.
2:  If you're booking a camping tour, then decide you don't like camping don't then spend the next 20 days complaining you don't like camping.
3: If you want to drink yourself into oblivion every night, find an appropriate drinking tour. Or just stay at home.
4: If you want to see animals, go on Game drives, your not likely to see them at the bar.
5: The amount you will get out of the tour is exactly what you put in.
6: The shared experience is what makes the overlanding trip.
7: I'm really glad I did the trip, I enjoyed 99.9% of it, seeing the sights, seeing the animals, meeting some really wonderful people (you know who you are)
8: Learning some really cool things about Africa, its people, the various cultures and traditions of Southern Africa.
9: I would travel with Nomad again in a heart beat.
10: Great tour guides


A few of my highlights would be, (and there are so many to choose from)

Kruger: Game drive with D (our guide), the big five before lunch, doesn't get any better.
Etosha: Watching the lion, rhino and elephants coming to the water hole at night. (Johanna you legend)
Etosha: Game drives with the Rhino Spotter (Christoph)
Sossusvlei: seeing the desert, Boesman (the guy is awesome, worth the price of admission alone)
San People bush walk
Okavango Delta
Chobe National Park game drives

But most of all, the people I got to do the tours with. From the Tour Guides (Owen & Rimson, Zenzo & Shingi) and then all the wonderful people I did the tour with, (too numerous to list) but in the words of Jeff Fenech, "loves you all".

You helped make the trip what it was  - really enjoyable and incredibly memorable. And for that I am and will be eternally grateful.

Thank you all,
Peace out, until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment