Tuesday 31 December 2013

Day 4 Namib-Naukluft National Park

Day 4 Namib-Naukluft National Park
We arrive at the Namib-Naukluft National Park and set up camp, then enjoy a short hike into the Sesriem Canyon. Tonight enjoy the star-studded sky and enduring silence of the Namib Desert, only occasionally interrupted by the call of a Jackal or, a rather unique lizard, the barking gecko!
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

28th December 2013
Today was another long days drive, our main activity for the day was checking out the Sesriem Canyon. It was a short walk down to the Canyon floor and we then wandered around and got to see some baboons seeking shelter. The canyon occasionally gets rain but today was not the day for rain. Its an impressive thing to walk around a canyon but it's one of those things that you need to see and do for yourself. It wasn't a long walk and I think every one just wanted to get somewhere cool.

The Sesriem Campsite was probably the most desolate place I have ever seen, the campsite was sandy, windy and incredibly hot. The first thing that Lisa and I did was head for the pool, whilst I didn't really go in I did enjoy the cooling sensation of get my feet wet. The most bizarre sight was a family sitting by their vehicle and camp while the howling wind blew hot red sand over their campsite, their kids played in the dirt when their was a pool less than 10 meters away. Whilst Lisa and I were relaxing by the pool the other campers setup there tents, I'm reasonably confident that some of them regretted that decision. This proves I'm the smart one, conservation of energy is the key to surviving in the desert. When It cooled down Lisa and I setup our tent under a tree that also provided shelter from the howling wind, I couldn't believe the spot was still there.

When we finished putting up our tent an sorting out our gear we had a shower and headed to the bar to escape the wind. Whilst we were there we waiting for dinner we had a chat with Johanna, a Swedish Project Manager who apparently likes libraries. Johanna provided the quote of the day, the conservation went like this.

Johanna, " I really like reading and would like to read some Australian books, can you recommend one?"
Lisa, "what type of genre do you like to read?"
Johanna, "I like novels..."
Andrew, "really you like novels?"

Now in Johanna's defence English is not her first language, so I have to give her a break.

As a result Lisa has given me a nickname, Major Sarcasm. That way she gets to salute me from time to time (in a sarcastic way of course.)

At the dinner briefing Shingi suggested that we go out for dinner as a group at Swakopmund. I decided that if it was going to happen I needed to take control and ask If they had a place in mind and who wanted to go. Yes to a place and everyone wanted to do it so, it was a good result. Who's the man, I'm the man!!!

Later that evening (after dinner) Zenzo played a bonding game with us. We circled up and then had to remember everybodys name in the position we were sitting in. Johanna was the crash test dummy almost nailed it, my solution was the Australian way just call everyone mate. I think that it would have been better if there was a sculling game included.




Baboon in Canyon 

No comments:

Post a Comment