Monday 30 December 2013

Robin Island


Cape Town = Windy

23rd December 2014

After yesterday's boat ride we were looking forward to a relaxing day on land - sort of. We had planned to abseil down Table Mountain at around 1pm, that was all we had planned.  We could sleep in at last, ohhh yeah. We got up around 8:30am, trust me in Africa that is sleeping in...As per the instructions from the Abseiling company we rang them in the morning, but unfortunately due to high winds the abseiling was cancelled, even the cable car was closed. They suggested we call again tomorrow and see if we can give it another go. Given that was our only organised activity for the day we decided to walk to the local Harley dealership, (it was always going to happen) they had some nice stuff and I saw a Rocker C with the stupid seat still attached and the original handlebars, "Why?" I ask "Lord why"?

From there we went and got a massage, I was offered a happy ending but strangely enough Lisa wasn't. I'm pretty sure the dude in the room next door took the optional activity package. The massage wasn't really to my liking, I wanted to feel the pain of a deep tissue massage, but alas she just couldn't inflict the same pain as my gay Singaporean masseuse. In short I left unsatisfied in two ways...

We also checked out sending back "our" purchases home instead of dragging them around Southern Africa, we got a quote and that was the new plan. after that we headed to the waterfront for some sight seeing and shopping.

The VA Waterfront is nice and proof that if you build it they will come, and come in droves they do. There are lots of merchandise shops cafe's and bars, there were entertainers singing and dancing, all in all it was a happening place. In the wellness centre I saw a stall which helped with lower back issues, but there was nobody about so we just went and got something to eat. The meal did include quote of the day, "my fish tastes very fishy"

24th December 2014
Today we had organised the Robben Island tour and it was a 9am departure from the VA Waterfront, we got a lift to the waterfront via the Park Inn's chauffeur driven Mercedes Benz. Ohh so nice, I want one and if it comes with a chauffeur even better.

Surprisingly enough, the ferry left early TIA (That Is Africa). The boat was an old tub which was packed to the rafters, it also was a diesel so the first spot we got had the fumes heading straight for us, so we moved up wind of the exhaust. It took about 45 minutes to get to Robben Island.

When we disembarked from the tub, we were told to get on a bus which would take us to the prison. The problem here was there were about 300 people and they were not going to all fit on two buses, the first bus was already bulging at the seams when I got there so I got on the second bus. The guide was none to pleased and began to make more people try and get on the first bus, eventually they gave up. When the second bus was bursting at the seams they asked the last 100 or so punters to walk to the prison, which turned out to be about 200 meters away.
The tour its self was over crowded and rushed, it was how we describe the Japanese tourist buses at home, running from point to point trying to get a photo whenever possible. Case in point, Nelson Mandela's cell we barely had time to look at it let alone take a photo. I was really disappointed with this part of the tour. Next we were rushed onto a bus and driven around the island, this turned out to be the highlight of the tour. The guide was great, entertaining, engaging, informative and he likes the pretty ladies. When the bus tour was over we got moved on really quickly, we wanted to look at the posters on the wharf but had zero time. For me I really wanted to spend time in the prison and also checking out the information around the wharf etc. The downside is that this was a significant site for South Africa and its people but the tour was really disappointing.

From there we headed for the VA Waterfront for lunch, we inadvertently picked the busiest restaurant in the universe, however I was pleasantly surprised at how good the service was. It was quick and efficient and the lady was really help full and nice.

After our meals I decided to get some treatment on my back as the previous days massage did nothing to help. David King claimed to be a man who used non invasive techniques to aid in the recovery of just about anything. As I was happy to give him ago I jumped on his table, he was a bit strange to say the least ( he would repeat things to himself out loud all the time). the pain / tightness in my calf's went almost straight away. for the first time in weeks I felt normal. Whilst laying face down on the table I heard Sonja and Jens voices,  I figured Lisa was chatting to them. After the adjustment I felt brand new,but Lisa ad I were in a hurry to get our shopping sent home, as it turns out we didn't need to rush, the shop closed a 1pm, Blood Xams eve.

We invited Sonjia and Jens to join us for dinner later at the rooftop restaurant. Sonjia and Jens joined us and it was a nice dinner, one of the topics we talked about was how strange it felt to be eating alone after eating with the family for 3 weeks. I think we all miss that.







No comments:

Post a Comment